CCTV (Closed Circuit Television) cameras are set up for private surveillance. The signals are not publicly broadcasted, but the owner of the CCTV camera has access to both live and recorded feeds. These cameras are used to monitor residential and commercial properties and may be used indoors or outdoors. There are often a lot of questions regarding these cameras. One of the most common concerns is whether CCTV cameras can continue working when there is no Internet.
Do CCTV Cameras Work Without Internet?
The answer to the above question is yes. You can continue to operate CCTV cameras without Internet. It surprises many people to learn a CCTV camera can even work when there is no electricity. These cameras are ideal for areas that are rural, including those that are off the grid.
Being able to operate these cameras without a power supply and Internet is one of the biggest drawing points for many individuals. CCTV cameras can be mounted just about anywhere.
Internet service is only required when a person needs access to their camera remotely. Although it is considered advantageous to have an Internet connection, it certainly is not required. The downfalls of not having an Internet connection mean you will not get notifications from motion sensor detection or be able to view a live feed from your smartphone.
What Functions Are Available Without Internet Service?
As discussed above, you are going to be lacking some features when you do not have an Internet connection. Unfortunately, Wi-Fi signals are not everywhere. Some CCTV camera owners prefer operating their cameras without an Internet connection because it makes them less vulnerable to hackers. Would-be thieves can sometimes hack the camera feed and disable it, so they can gain access to a property. The following are the functions that will still be available even without Internet service.
- There is 24/7 live monitoring if a monitor is attached.
- All CCTV camera footage can be saved to an NVR or SD card.
- The CCTV camera can operate with cellular battery power in areas with no electricity.
While having all the services that are available with an Internet connection is beneficial, there are certain places this simply is not offered. Being able to use a CCTV camera in remote places allows individuals to better monitor and protect their property without worry. If you thought you could not use a CCTV camera because of Internet limitations, there are more options than you realize.
How to Connect a CCTV Camera to Your Computer with No Internet
Knowing how to properly connect your CCTV camera to your computer will allow you to view and save the footage without the need for Internet. The steps are easy to carry out and the results are impressive.
- Make sure both your camera and computer are properly charged. If you have electricity on your property, this is not an issue.
- The camera should be connected to your PC using a network cable. Make sure the cable works with your camera and computer. Also, ensure the cable is secure.
- Search for the security camera address on your computer. You should be able to find this information on your camera’s configuration website or under your computer’s device menu.
- The final step is changing your computers IP address to the same prefix as your CCTV camera.
Taking these steps will help you to enjoy the use of your CCTV camera without Internet service, so you will be able to rest assured your property is always being monitored. With cellular batteries, your cameras will even continue to run when the electricity is out or if an intruder cuts the line.
Benefits of CCTV Cameras
Installing a CCTV camera in your property is not overly difficult, though some people prefer to rely on the professionals for installation. Installing a CCTV camera offers many benefits to residential and commercial property owners. The following are some of the biggest benefits.
- One of the biggest reasons property owners purchase CCTV cameras is because they are a deterrent to crime. When criminals learn a property is being watched by cameras, they are less likely to engage in criminal activity because they know they are likely to get caught.
- Business and homeowners alike benefit from being able to monitor what is occurring on their property. They can monitor their family and workers and ensure everyone is safe and doing their jobs. Having peace of mind in knowing what is going on is priceless.
- Another benefit of CCTV technology is the ability to collect evidence, should a crime take place on your property. If something is stolen or damage is done, you can refer to the camera footage and discover the perpetrator. The police often use CCTV camera footage to solve crimes.
- The footage available from these cameras helps property owners to keep a record of who is coming and going from their property. Knowing who was on the property at a specific time is beneficial for many reasons, including being aware of who has access.
- Property owners may use CCTV cameras to protect themselves from lawsuits. If someone claims to have been injured on your property, you will have evidence that either substantiates their claim or refutes it. Being able to prove you are not liable for an injury claim is essential for protecting your wallet and reputation.
Now that you know a CCTV camera will work seamlessly, even without an Internet connection, it is time to start researching the available brands, models, and options. Having access to the video feeds of your property will offer a much higher level of peace of mind.
CCTV cameras are practical and innovative. New models are coming out all the time with more enhanced features. Before choosing a CCTV camera, make sure to carefully research which ones will work most effectively without an Internet connection. Some cameras are made exclusively to work with an Internet source, so care must be taken in choosing the right camera to meet your needs.