What are IP ratings for surveillance cameras?
Outdoor surveillance cameras have an IP rating that is used to notate the camera housing’s level of protection against the elements. The IP rating is also known as its IP code, International Protection Rating, or the Ingress Protection Rating. This rating includes “IP” and is followed by two digits. This rating will tell you everything you need to know about where you can, and can’t, install a security camera.
What does the IP rating mean?
There are two digits in every camera’s IP rating; the first digit refers to the camera’s ingress protection, or its ability to prevent dust, debris, particles, etc. from entering the camera body. The second digit refers to its ability to protection against humidity, moisture, rain, etc. Essentially, it’s the camera’s waterproof rating.
First Digit: Ingress Protection
- 0 - No protection
- 1 - Protection against 2”+ objects (50mm+)
- 2 - Protection against 0.5”+ objects (12mm+)
- 3 - Protection against 2.5mm+ objects
- 4 - Protection against 1mm+ objects
- 5 - Limited ingress (only dust can enter)
- 6 - Complete protection (zero ingress)
Second Digit: Water Protection
- 0 - No protection
- 1 - Safe from vertically dripping water
- 2 - Safe from sprays of water tilted up to 15°
- 3 - Safe from sprays of water tilted up to 60°
- 4 - Safe from sprays of water from any direction
- 5 - Safe from low pressure jets of water from any direction
- 6 - Safe from high pressure jets of water from any direction
- 7 - Safe from complete water immersion up to 1m depth
- 8 - Safe from complete water immersion from 1m up to specified depth
Common Weatherproof IP Ratings
Even with the ridiculous number of possible weatherproof rating combinations, the surveillance industry has gravitated towards two standard IP ratings for weatherproof cameras, IP66 & IP67. If you’re looking to incorporate outdoor rated cameras, make sure that your cameras have one of these rating, even if a camera is labeled as “weatherproof”.
IP66 - Complete ingress protection & safe from high pressure jets of water from any direction.
IP67 - Complete ingress protection & safe from complete immersion in water up to 1m in depth.
These video security cameras are rated to handle weather like that in the video below whereas those "weatherproof" cameras would be damaged if not outright broken after the storm has passed.